We read a picture book each week.
That's it. Everyone reads a math picture book each week, from the 14 year old down to my 9 year old (my 16 year old is trying to finish up Algebra 2 while doing Geometry, so she's excused). Some will be overly simple for my older kids, or go over the head of my younger one. Others may give a little food for thought, or explain a concept in a way that finally makes something click.
Our Math Picture Book List
2. Shape Up! Fun with Triangles and Other Polygons
3. Multiplying Menace
4. Multiplying Menace Divides
5. Full House: An Invitation to Fractions
6. What's Your Angle, Pythagoras?
7. Actual Size
8. The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Early Mathematics
9. Mummy Math
10. Apple Fractions
11. The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
12. Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
13. A Remainder of One
14. On Beyond a Million
15. Math Potatoes
16. Spaghetti and Meatballs for All
17. Mystery Math: A First Book of Algebra
18. Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi
19. Math Curse
20. One Grain of Rice
21. Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone
22. Cut Down to Size at High Noon
23. If You Made a Million
24. The King's Chessboard
25. How Big is a Foot?
So far, this is a great success! I have my youngest choose a book for me to read aloud to her each week. That way I get to experience them all too. Math with picture books is one of my very favorite things about our new homeschool year.
Till next time!